Moving Tips Checklist
Please print out the following checklist to help prepare for your move.
Book the movers
- You can choose to have your movers pack everything, or just the breakables, or you can pack yourself. It is a good idea to obtain estimates from several different companies.
At your present home
- Arrange to have your gas, water and electric meters read on the day you leave and have the bills forwarded to your new address.
- Disconnect your telephone, cable TV, and internet.
- Cancel or transfer any utility, rental or alarm contracts you may have on your existing home.
At your "new" home
- Make arrangements for the gas and electric utilities, telephone, and cable TV/internet to be connected on the day the sale closes.
- Speak to your lawyer about joining The Tax Installment Payment Plan (TIPP) for the City of Calgary. This plan is designed to pay taxes on a monthly basis. If you are purchasing a condominium with titled parking you will have to make an application for both the unit and the parking stall.
- If you are purchasing a condominium, you will also need to contact the condominium corporation management to arrange payment of monthly condominium fees.
- Get "Change of Address" cards from the post office and send out well before moving day.
- Have the post office forward your mail to your new address.
- Cancel any contracted services and pre-authorized cheques.
- Inform gardening, dry cleaning, garbage pick-up, newspapers, magazines, and other home services. Arrange for services at your new address.
- Cancel or transfer social, athletic, civic, religious, or business affiliations, and memberships.
- Arrange for transfer of medical, dental, prescription, and optical records.
- Change the address on your driver's license effective the day of the move.
- Collect all items out for cleaning, repair, or storage, e.g. dry cleaning.
- Make special arrangements for the moving of perishables, such as plants.
- Safely dispose of all flammable liquids as it is illegal for movers to carry them.